• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Filed under community, News

Heritage School’s Builders Club hosts Veterans Dinner

Phelan- Wednesday, November 4th, at Serrano High School, Heritage School’s Builders Club hosted the 21st annual High Desert Veterans Appreciation Dinner.
This year held a special ceremony. The incredible event gave fifteen veterans a chance to experience the graduation ceremony that they were never able to have. “Once these veterans got their Units for high school, their draft numbers went up. They got drafted before they got the chance to walk or get their diplomas” says the veteran dinner’s host, Todd Anton. The veterans include four from WWII, five from the Korean War, and six from Vietnam who experienced their high school graduation right here in Serrano’s Performing Arts Center. The WWII veterans are in their nineties, and even though they finished high school, they finally got to receive their diplomas in November.

Veterans and families enjoying their celebratory dinner.

“The best part of the dinner so far has been being able to keep up with a man who comes every year. Every year I see him, and we get to catch each other up on what’s happened in the last year”, says dinner volunteer, MaryJane Ford. “It is important. We are so blessed to have the opportunities we have and to have the life that we have. So, we need to honor those who worked for the America we have today”.

MaryJane Ford chatting with a couple attending the dinner.

Serrano Clubs such as Key Club, SASS, and NHS helped out with this dinner by decorating the PAC and selling tickets for five dollars. “For each ticket sold, a veteran gets a free dinner,” says SASS Supervisor Mrs. Walczynski. The buyer and the seller of the ticket both got their name placed in a raffle for a new TV.
Before the dinner in Serrano’s Performing Arts Center, from 4:00 to 5:15 PM,the veterans graduation and concert ceremony took place. Following the ceremony, student volunteers came and served our veterans from 5:15 to 7:00 PM in the gym.

Heritage Builders Club posing for a picture with a veteran during a past dinner.

This year, the Veterans Dinner Builders Club expected around twelve hundred veterans and about one hundred guests. The students in Builders Club were lucky enough to give back and serve the veterans who have served them.
Builders Club decided to use Out of This World BBQ to serve the veterans. The students dressed in their club shirts and walked around getting the veterans anything they may have needed.
Once every Veteran got as much food as they would like, the students were able to get food and sit at a table with 2-6 veterans. This gave the students a chance to ask any questions they may have. Sitting with them, gave the veterans a chance to share their interesting stories and experiences.
“I have learned a lot from being apart of the Veterans Dinner. I have learned about what it means to be an American, and how lucky I am to have the freedom that I have. I have also learned how much American society has changed,” says Ford.
This is a day that not only shows appreciation for our veterans, but is a day that gives the students of this community a chance to connect with brave people and very important pieces of our country’s history.

A veteran and student exchange salutes.

A veteran and student exchange salutes.