• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub: an analysis of Rick and Morty

Rick and Morty performing their hit song,

Rick and Morty performing their hit song, "Get Schwity."

After the announcement of a year and half (or longer) break  from Season 2 to Season 3, The Adult Swim masterpiece that is “Rick and Morty”, has already have fans itching for yet another fix of the highly addicting show. Now, it may not be a very popularized show (at least not yet), the show has, however, managed to capture a cult audience that follows the adventures of a super genius scientist named Rick Sanchez and his naive grandson, Morty. Although, there may be some out there that believe “Rick and Morty” to just be another “Family Guy” or “American Dad” knock-off;  in reality, it is actually one of the most thought-provoking and philosophical  filled shows on TV right now.  Begging existential questions like: What is the point of Life? Are we, as people, even important? Is Life still Life, even when a collective mind entity takes and slaves away a whole entire society of drill and squared nipple blue people’s minds away and uses them to achieve world peace?

In the world of “Rick and Morty,” it’s hard to differentiate between the right and wrong answers to these sort of questions. For example, in the episode “Get Schwifty,” a floating giant head comes to Earth and causes apocalyptic events due to its gravitational pull, and then asks everyone of Earth to “Show me what you got.” Of course, “showing what you got” means coming up with a hit song for a trans-dimensional singing competition, or else get blown away to extinction by a giant space ray. The point being is that Humanity always likes to see themselves as the center of the Universe, and an important, if not the most important, part of Life on Earth. But when the celestial head beings come to Earth, factions of people abandon their religions and begin a new religion, pledging their lives to eternal servitude under the guidance of the new “Head Gods.” Going as far as even persecuting those “unwanted” by the Head Gods. Yet, the giant heads don’t care about the people on Earth, nor should they; they just want to hear a great hit song. Creators, Justin Roiland and Dan Hammond, have stated that the heads are parodies of religious figureheads that people follow without question, even if said religious figurehead, could really care less about committing planetary genocide in the name of great music.

The "Head Gods" testing out their space ray on Earth.

The “Head Gods” testing out their space ray on Earth.

Another parody of religion comes up again in the episode “Something Ricked this Way Comes” where Jerry, Morty’s imbecile father, goes to Pluto after stating over and over that Pluto is a planet (even though we all know it’s a celestial snowball). Jerry soon becomes hailed as a Savior and Messiah for the Plutonians, who also believe Pluto is a planet. However, things are not what they seem as a conspiracy by the Plutonian King arises, and Jerry becomes a pawn. The king knows of Pluto’s stature of not being a planet because of the illegal mining within Pluto’s core, sucking out all the natural resources within Pluto, gradually making it smaller and smaller until there won’t be a Pluto left. Yet, he feeds his citizens false hope in order for them to be blind towards the illegal mining and, instead, focuses their attention on making Pluto a planet again.The king even go as far as killing the head scientist of the planet, his own son, to keep the conspiracy quiet. Now, I’m no expert in the history of any Religion, but I do know there was some fishy things going on with Science and the Church back in the day, and I’ll just leave it at that. But within the context of the show,  the Plutonians are a devious knock on Big Corporations and Christianity (as made apparent by the Plutonians cross-like eyes). Contrastly, while all of this is going on, Rick battles the Devil on Earth and wins (brutally beating him to near-death)! Which brings us to our next point: Rick vs Morty

There are no clear moral lines drawn in “Rick and Morty,”as championed by Rick’s constant influx of passive and active moods towards Death. On the other hand, Morty will go to extreme lengths to save a person’s life, even if it means risking his own. The different values for Life each hold onto are quite polar opposites. Whereas, Rick shows no regret or compassion for the death of anyone, including himself (it’s a long story),  Morty counters the ideology by holding that all Life is sacred. But as the show progresses, the evolution (or devolution) of Morty’s character is seen to become more passive like Rick, while Rick seems to become more caring, even almost sacrificing himself for Morty (it’s an even longer story). The development of each character, even the supporting characters, is what makes this show one of the best on TV. And although there are many, many points not covered here; there is a year and a half break, which gives plenty of time to catch up. Which is pretty crazy that we have to wait to until 2017 for any new episodes, but in the words of Rick Sanchez, “don’t think about it,” and “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!”