• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Oops, she Did it Again! Britney’s album Glory, in all its glory

Promo photo for Glory. (factmag.com)

Promo photo for Glory. (factmag.com)

Promo photo for Glory. (factmag.com)

It’s Britney, b****!  

Britney Spears is back at it again this year with her new album, Glory.  This is the long-awaited release from the Princess of Pop, with her last release being Britney Jean, in 2013.  Glory returns to her 2003 In the Zone days, pleasing many with her nostalgic sound.  The album varies from risqué dance tracks, to emotional ballads, and everything else in between.

For those of you that do not know, I am a HUGE Britney fan. Rest assured though, this is an unbiased article written by a person who has an enormous love for music.  When I heard earlier this year that she was coming out with a new album, I practically jumped out of my skin, as all the other members of the Britney fandom did.  Much like Adele’s fans, the anticipation for a new album from Britney was overwhelming.

In this article, I will be ranking and reviewing 4 tracks from the album, 4 being not the best and 1 being the best.  Let’s get to it!

4. “Private Show”

Songwriters: Spears, Carla Marie Williams, Tramaine “Young Fyre” Winfrey, Simon Smith

If you’re into the extremely high pitched Britney songs, this is the song for you.  In a G-Rated sense, this song encapsulates how Britney’s privacy is constantly broken and she is begging her lover for some alone time, away from the cameras.  But when you put the Britney twist on it, her role in the song is a burlesque dancer.  While there are really amazing songs on the album, this one comes in at the bottom of the list, due to the sound of her voice and the overall message of the song.

3. “What You Need”

Songwriters: Spears, Williams, Winfrey, Smith

At the very beginning of this song, you are instantly transported to the classic raise your hands up, toss the money in the basket, gospel choir.  The trills of the organ and handclaps generate a feeling of intense excitement, making you want to just jump in the aisle and belt out the lyrics (jazz hands insisted).  The only downside to this song is that there really is no other element to it than just saying “I got what you want / I got what you need.” After the first minute, it’s very much like “Okay, Britney, I know what you’re saying.”  Very catchy, but lacks depth.

2. “Do You Wanna Come Over?”

Songwriters: Larsson, Fredriksson, Michaels, Tranter, Chila

This is the song to listen to when you want to get in the partying mood.  Throughout the song, you hear what sounds like canned beverages being opened, which generates a feeling of “Oh, Britney’s got some drinks, this has got to be good!”  This song is the prime example of wanting to get your boyfriend or girlfriend alone, because hey, we all get that feeling!  The upbeat pace of the song really makes you want to dance, and is bound to give you the courage to ask that special someone, “Do you wanna come over?”

1.  “Man on the Moon”

Songwriters: Jason Evigan, Ilsey Juber, Phoebe Ryan, Sterling Fox, Marcus Lomax

Okay, let’s be honest here.  Other than “Starships” by Nicki Minaj, all space-themed songs are pretty good.  Especially “Man on the Moon,” being why it is the number one song from the album.  In this song, we meet a heartbroken Britney, who after spending a night with her love, is devastated after he leaves her.  The melody of this song sort of mimics the swaying, entrancing melody of the classic song “Hallelujah,” which hooks you right from the start.  Britney evokes a hopeful message in the chorus, that encourages you to not give up when love doesn’t go your way: “Patience, darling, wait for the night / Darkness comes and love comes alive / I’ve been right here dreaming of you / Waiting for my man on the moon.”  Overall, this is the best song on the album, because of its message and amazing melody.

Glory was definitely worth the wait.  It is very nice to see and hear Britney in a new, yet nostalgic, energetic matter.  Long gone is the young starlet with dead, depressed eyes.  She has been replaced by a new Britney who is very much awake, alive, and most importantly, happy!  Welcome back, Britney, and may your album bask in the “glory” it deserves!

Glory’s album cover. (vulture.com)