• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Spotlight: Kenneth Pasewark’s Final Symphony at Serrano

Kenneth Pasewark, the Music Man (Dexter Martin).

Pasewark tickling the ivories (Dexter Martin).

Pasewark conducting the Band kids (Dexter Martin).

When one thinks of talented kids at Serrano, Kenneth Pasewark (12) is definitely one of the names that would pop into someone’s head. Picking people for Spotlight articles is usually hard, but when I decided to write about a Band student, this required no thinking at all. I gave Kenny a list of questions to answer so he can have a part in telling his story.

First, I asked the obvious question: When did you start band? Kenny answered with, “Well, I started band in the 7th grade. I didn’t really have a specific reason that I wanted to join, I just did. My whole family was rather skeptical since I would never stick with an activity for too long. I convinced my mother, and she let me join. I started out on the tuba; why I chose the tuba was beyond me, but I chose that, and it didn’t fit. I ended up finding my performance passion in percussion, and have stuck with it ever since.” Pasewark is also a pianist in Jazz Band, a percussionist in Wind Ensemble and the Symphonic Band, and a Bass in Schitzophonics, our school’s most advanced choir. Another impressive accomplishment of Pasewark’s is that he composed an original, full-strength, orchestra piece! It is entitled Written in the Stars.

When asked if he had always been musically inclined, he stated “Well…. Not exactly. Like most people when they first get involved with music, I struggled with reading music, and the whole general understanding of it. But once I learned how to, I kept growing. I grew till about my junior year, where I plateaued. But at the beginning of my senior year, I continued to grow. I’ve been practicing a lot recently as I have an audition piece to prepare for a solo concert, and a college audition as well.”

Given that every program has different atmospheres, for example, the choir atmosphere is chaotic, I asked Kenny how the band atmosphere is: “It’s really tight. Like really tight. For the most part, everyone is really close. There isn’t really any drama, and we all usually have a good time together. But the coolest part about the band atmosphere is the fact that everyone helps everyone. Nobody is trying to put another person down just because they want to be better than them. Another wonderful thing is the leadership atmosphere. Most of the leadership board is seniors, so we’ve all been in this for a long time, and we’re all very close.”

We’re all influenced to do the things we love somehow. I was very curious to know what, or who, influenced Kenny to join Band. After a lot of thought, he replied, “There’s been a lot of people, but there’s 3 people that stand out the most. That’d be my mother, my current band director Mr. Fell, and one of my friends Palmer, who graduated last year. My mother always supports me one hundred percent on what I do, gives me advice, points me in the right way, and always understands me. She understands why I’m going to have to stay at the school so late, she understands why I’m always so tired, and why I’m upset. And she helps me through all of those things. Mr. Fell always gives me the chance to do something to move forward in the pathway of music, or even as a leader and a teacher. He always hears me out about most stuff I have to say, and asks for my opinion about certain situations. It’s very nice because it gives me a feel for what my future in music education will look like. And Palmer has been exactly where I am, so he always understands what I’m going through, and always gives me advice because he knows what to do. Whether it’s a solo piece he’s worked on, a leadership problem, or helping me with the stress of being a senior. No matter who it is though, I’m thankful for everyone who’s influenced me on this lifelong path of music.”

Now, as seniors, we all have very different paths we’re going to end up going down. Kenny, for example, plans on taking the Music Education path. He says that he would really like to be a high school band director, and given the enormous amount of talent and people skills he has, he will be there in no time. He also wants to study Percussion Performance and minor in in Composition.

The Rattler Staff would like to wish Kenny all the best luck and ease throughout his career. Always remember that when life throws you bad notes to keep on playing.