• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Student Dancers and Gymnasts Compete In Off-Campus Programs

Melissa Keaggy (12) performing as Cinderella with Miss Tanya's Dance Studio (Tanya Petty).

There are many students that are involved in dance and cheer programs here at Serrano. On the other hand, there are many students who are involved in dance or gymnastics outside of school. Those programs, not only help with physical health, they also help students with mental and social health.
Elle Peterson (12), a dancer at California Dance Arts, stated that dancing has taught her “discipline” and also “dedication.” Being in dance has caused her to fully commit herself to her studio and follow all of the rules that are required.
Mrs. Corvera, a health teacher at Serrano, has a daughter who is involved in gymnastics at High Desert Gymnastics Center in Pinon Hills. She says “it is like a second home to [them].” It is very beneficial to have another place besides home where you are comfortable and feel accepted.
Elle also stated that her studio is “like a family” to her and she “grew up there.” I think it is even more beneficial when someone starts out with a studio or gym at a very young age and sticks with it because it keeps them healthy and really gives them a chance to evolve within their studio.
Melissa Keaggy (12) is a student at Serrano and also goes to Miss Tanya’s Dance Studio located in Phelan. She stated, “I like dancing there because it shows us team work and shows us how to better ourselves for what we want to do in the future.”
Many people seem to want to continue dancing or tumbling, but they do not want to make it a career. For example, Elle Peterson wants to study “political science” but she still “wants to teach dance as a hobby.”
The main reason that I think people do not want to pursue dancing is because it is very difficult and competitive to become a professional dancer or gymnast.
One of the most important things in getting started with a studio or gym is if the parents are comfortable with leaving their child there. Mrs. Corvera’s daughter, Samantha Corvera, attends High Desert Gymnastics Center and her mom stated that she feels “that [her] daughter is safe and respected there.”
Mrs. Corvera also said “I feel like she is wanted there as an athlete and person, not as a dollar sign.” According to Corvera, the coaches actually care for her daughter rather than just wanting their money.
Another important aspect of starting a new studio or gym is if the dancer or gymnast feels comfortable there and if the teacher likes them for who they are as an individual. When asked about Melissa Keaggy’s personality and attitude at her studio, Miss Tanya–the primary teacher at Miss Tanya’s Dance Studio — said her student was both “professional and fun.”
Students who are involved in dance and gymnastics and also attend public school may have a harder time committing to their studio or gym because there is less time and they have more work. Miss Tanya stated, “Kids do have more homework than others and that makes it difficult for them certain times of the year.”
When things like finals week come around, students who attend public school may be drained and need time to study which makes it hard to commit to their studio or gym.
There are many people who are taking dance or gymnastics out of school, but not involved in any of those programs in school. Elle Peterson said that the reason she is not involved is because she has “no time to commit.” She goes from school to dance six days a week.
One thing that makes being in dance and gymnastics out of school fun is all of the productions and competitions that come with it. Elle Peterson stated that she “went from the youngest performer in The Snow Queen to actually being the Snow Queen.”
Melissa Keaggy has been in “Comic Con, Babes in Toyland, Nightmare Before Christmas, Frozen, Cinderella, Pocahontas, and Beauty and the Beast” and she has only been dancing for 5 years.
Being in gymnastics is a little bit different because you are mostly involved in competitions rather than productions. Mrs. Corvera’s daughter is on the “Junior Olympic Competition Team as a level 5 gymnast,” and they attend competitions.
Many times, a dancer and gymnast will say the best aspect of their pursuit is their “dance family” or “gym family.” It is so nice to have a second family in their life that they love and care about, many of these students reported.
There are countless advantages to dancing and tumbling outside of school including productions, competitions, one’s health, and just having another place, besides home, that are comfortable.