• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Keeping Up With Boy’s Tennis

Captain Sangpil Seo (12) practicing for the upcoming tennis match (Roman Olavarria)

Francisco Quinonez (11), junior varsity member, practicing his serves to prepare for the season.

It’s time for spring sports here at Serrano, and boy’s tennis is one of the few spring sports offered here at Serrano High School. The boy’s tennis team has been working since February preparing for league and has played various pre-season games.
The boy’s tennis team is coached by Mr. Broca who also helped coach the wrestling team this year. This is Coach Broca’s first year coaching the boy’s tennis team. Coach Broca said, “[he] really wanted to take this opportunity to make a difference and be able to teach youth athletes the importance of fair play and sportsmanship, while in the search for excellence.”
“Being the coach of the boys tennis team is not only very fun but also it is [a] high honor and a privilege that I will never take for granted,” Coach Broca stated. He also stated that his favorite thing about being coach this year would be getting to “know every athlete in the team in individual basis, learning about their strengths and weaknesses, their interest and things they like to do in and out of school, and being able to teach and coach every single individual in a one on one basis depending on each athlete’s needs.”
Broca believes that Serrano has “a great team this year”. He stated that the team has “played a total of 8 matches so far this year and [the] athletes have performed at a great level, demonstrating knowledge and maturity in every single match throughout this season. The schools that [they have] played up to now have been Quart Hills, Highland, Silverado, Hesperia, Oak Hills, Rim of the world, Barsto, AAE, and Night High School.”
Cameron Peck (12), Boy’s tennis varsity member, states that “the team will do awesome this year through league. [The] only major competition however is Oak Hills, but other than that Serrano should be fine because [they] are made up of many skilled players who are competitive and have a passion for the sport.”
The leagues have also started with Serrano boy’s tennis competing against Sultana on March 30th. Unfortunately, the boys suffered a defeat.
Coach Broca appointed three captains for the team – Sangpil Seo(12) , Cameron Peck, and Henry Phan (11). Cameron Peck stated that he enjoys “being a tennis captain simply because [he likes] to help other people and lead them to success. There’s no better feeling than seeing somebody overcome an obstacle in which they were struggling with.”
Peck stated that “being captain of the tennis isn’t just a role, it’s more of a responsibility.” Peck stated that he gets “to make decisions for the team” and do a number of other things. Peck also stated that it’s not “super hard balancing sports, school, and social life but it can be challenging.” especially if someone is taking “4 AP classes at once.”
Peck clarified that “this year has surprised [him] a little.” Peck also mentioned that in the first meeting for tennis “[he] noticed that there were a ton of unfamiliar faces and [he] wasn’t sure how the season would turn out, but now [he thinks] it’s gone well so far.”
This year the tennis team has both varsity and junior varsity teams. Varsity Member, Henry Phan, another Boy’s Tennis varsity member, said he enjoys tennis “because [he gets] to interact with other tennis nerds who share similar interests.”
Henry stated that he enjoys getting to “play other competent players in our league,” but that could also be a struggle knowing that his opponent also wants to win. And as for the JV team, Henry stated that the “JV team is doing great work and will be ready to take on other varsity members in the future.”
The Boy’s Tennis team is also aided by the team manager Miri Kim (9), from the Girl’s Tennis team. She stated that this is her “first year with boy’s tennis” and being the team manager. She stated that the team manager “watches the players workout and condition and the manager also writes the team’s positions for their marches and keep score” of the wins and losses of the matches and overall season.
Miri Kim said that she likes “being the manager because [she feels] that it is fun just by being around the players” and enjoying every day of practice. She said that “there aren’t really any struggles being manager since every practice goes smoothly.” But she also stated that “it is a little hard balancing all of these things at once since practice ends a bit late, there is little time to do [her] homework but [she manages] to keep” the team and paperwork organized.
Kim stated that “the boys [this year] are very skilled.” She believes “the team works hard” during practice, and she stated that she “[looks] forward to boy’s tennis season” this year. “Our captains, SangPil Seo and Cameron Peck, [help] the other athletes on the team and [pull] them together and [lead] them very well,” she stated.

Max Seo (10), varsity member, preparing to get the rally started (Roman Olavarria).