• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Late Night Talk Shows

Stephen Colbert, right, is seen here interviewing Jeb Bush, left, about his presidential campaign.

There’s a wide variety of late night talk shows on TV and they’re all a little different, so one may wonder, which ones are actually worth watching and which ones are only worth ignoring? Each show has something slightly different from the next and from segment to segment, so here’s the breakdown of what each show has to offer-

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: 8/10 IMBD (Internet Movie Database, an online database of information related to reviews) – The show features Stephen Colbert interviewing various guests from across a wide spectrum of society, from politicians to actors to internationally recognized genesis. In the show Stephen Colbert first performs stand-up comedy as an introduction to the show, than the introduction song is played by the House band Jon Batiste and Stay Human, followed an extended comedic monologue, than various interviews and skits, and the show usually closes with a musical performance by a guest band. Notable guests that have been on the show include Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, Quentin Tarantino, and Morgan Freeman.

The Late Show’s ratings according to Nielsen Media Research has remained near the top of the spectrum among late night shows, but still short of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. The show runs on CBS at 11:35pm -12:35am monday through friday. The show has always been on CBS and is been shot in the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York City, where CBS has been recording TV shows since the 1930s. Colbert took over The Late Show last year after David Letterman retired and has been host ever since.

The show has a wide variety of segments that feature a wide variety of social topics from political satire to celebrity humor. Some notable segments include the Hungry for Power Games, which features Colbert poking fun at the 2016 presidential candidates, and Big Questions with Even Bigger Stars, in which Colbert interviews famous celebrities by asking them absurd, philosophical questions. One important prop on the show is “The Furry Hat,” which is used in sketches from time to time.

image01

Jimmy Fallon is seen behind his desk on the set of his show in the NBC Universal Building in New York City.

Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: 8/10 IMBD – The host of the show is Jimmy Fallon and it features Fallon in various segments and interviews with guests ranging from authors to celebrities to politicians. The show first has its introduction song “Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey” played with the intro by the house band The Roots, then Fallon is introduced, next he performs a short comedic monologue, followed by a mixture of interviews, sketches, and segments. However, this show is unique as it incorporates social media more into the program than any other late night competitor.

This is reflected in the shows viewership as it averages more viewers than any other competitor, with the exception of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert during the show’s first week, and has produced a wave of new, younger late night show viewers. Some of the show’s more critically acclaimed segments include Lip Sync Battles, in which Fallon and/or his guests lip sing a popular song, and Tonight Show Hashtags, in which Fallon reads fans Tweets out during the show.

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon runs Monday through Friday at 11:35pm-12:35am on NBC and it has always been the network of the show since it started in 1954. Fallon began hosting the show in 2014, after Jay Leno left the show. Some of Fallon’s most influential guests include Ryan Seacrest, Mitt Romney, and Scarlett Johansson.

image02

Larry Wilmore, center, is seen here in a round table discussion on the set of The Nightly Show.

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore: 5.7/10 IMBD – The Show is hosted by comedian Larry Wilmore and features him in an extended comedic monologue and a round table discussion with various guests and staff members of his show. First on the show, Wilmore introduces the major News Headlines from the day, than he has an extended comedic monologue, followed by a round table discussion which is usually about a societal problem, and the show ends with Larry Wilmore answering a question submitted to the show by a viewer on Twitter. Some important guests that have been on the show include Bernie Sanders and 50 cent.

The show is much less popular than other late night shows and has an average viewership of only about 500,000 people, with viewership passing one million only twice. The shows ratings fall severely behind the ratings of the show it replaced, The Colbert Report. The Nightly Show was started when Colbert retired The Colbert Report, after it was announced he would replace David Letterman.

The show is less popular among Serrano students too, as Serrano Junior Tiffany Tran has stated, “the Nightly show is the least intelligent” among all late night talk shows. She went on to say that she actually prefers to watch @Midnight (another comedy show on Comedy Central) because it “is a satirical depiction of how idiotic society is now.”

Nightly is on Comedy Central monday through thursday every week and is on at 9:30pm – 10:00pm PST. Like other shows on Comedy Central, The Nightly Show doesn’t use many props and relies mostly on comedic monologues and guests. The show features many different segments, however only a few are repeated. The most prominent bit is The Unblackening, in which Wilmore makes comments on the presidential hopefuls.   

image03

Trevor Noah, is seen here on the set of the Daily Show.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah: 8.8/10 IMBD – The Daily Show is hosted by Trevor Noah and features Noah in an extended comedic monologue and an interview with a distinguished guest, ranging from politicians to actors. Much like its sister show, The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore, the show doesn’t feature a house band, but this show has a host of correspondents which work with Trevor Noah on the show’s fake news team. In the show, first the introduction, “From Comedy Central’s World News Headquarters in New York this is The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” is read,  followed by an extended comedic monologue, a few bits from the show’s correspondents occasionally, and it usually finishes with an interview.

The show is generally received better than its sister show and generally receives a higher viewership than The Nightly Show, however, much like all other Comedy Central shows it falls severely behind other late night shows. The show’s current host, Trevor Noah, started hosting the show in 2015 when Jon Stewart left the show after hosting it for 16 years. The show is also received higher by Serrano Students, than Nightly, as it’s viewed as more creative.

The shows array of topics primarily focuses on political satire and comedy surrounding the media. Some of the more well known segments of the show include Your Moment of Zen, in which clips of comedic media coverage are shown, and The Toss, in which the show introduces the next show (The Nightly Show) in a dual-screen with both hosts. There are also numerous other segments that appear from time to time and that feature the show’s correspondents.