• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Music Genres That Are On The Rise

Picture of an EDM Festival

Picture of an EDM Festival

Picture of an EDM Festival

In the past year of 2015, there were some interesting music genres that were on the rise and these genres have gained a lot of popularity over the past couple of months. These genres have been a big step to those who have been in the music industry for a long time and to those who are just starting to come up in the music industry. As not only these genres have been a big step to the music industry; these genres have gave music listeners more opportunities and a key to spread it out to everyone.

Every year, a certain genre of music seems to change course and the dominate the industry around them. In result, I have compiled a list of genres from 2015 and some new genres that will most likely succeed in 2016.

Electronic Dance Music – Usually known as “EDM,” this electronic based music has a lot of history behind it. Artists like Skrillex, Deadmau5, Steve Aoki, Tiesto, and David Guetta have paved the way for EDM on the track to success. EDM is starting to become one of the most mainstream genres in the world because of the avid young community; that listen to it multiple times a day. The EDM Industry is worth about 6.2 billion dollars and to soon to be rising even more after 2016. The industry makes a lot of it’s money from EDM Festivals, clubs, and music sales online. EDM Festivals like EDC (Electric Daisy Carnival), TomorrowWorld, and Ultra Music Festivals have also set a name for their industry as thousands of people attend these festivals every year. EDM is gaining some popularity, from artists who are collaborating with pop. Justin Bieber, one of the biggest pop artists in the world right now, gained a lot of popularity from using EDM style beats to his lyrics recently. Bieber’s song “Sorry” from his new album “Purpose” is currently ranked #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.Electronic Dance Music is definitely going to be at it’s prime in 2016 and we are looking forward to see what great music; the industry has to produce in the future.

A$AP Ferg’s Album “Trap Lord

A$AP Ferg’s Album “Trap Lord

Trap – Trap music is an interesting genre of music as it takes elements from rap and hip-hop into an aggressive lyrical form with heavy bass and drums. Trap music emphasizes street life, hard times in life, and sometimes overall just having a good time. EDM producers like Yellow Claw also have taken trap and mixed it into their own form of music. Trap artists like A$AP Ferg, Juicy J, Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci Mane,and Lil Jon; set an extreme popularity base. As their music is known to pump up someone and motivate someone to get wild at events. New upcoming trap artist, Travi$ Scott, is under the spotlight right now as his hit single “Antidote” is ranked #19 on the Billboard Hot 100. Travi$ Scott is known for his unique lyrics and unique beats in every single song, he has produced. As his music takes elements from Kanye West and Bon Iver; which morphs into Scott’s version of trap. Pop music, has made a major impact on Trap also. Pop star, Katy Perry produced a #1 Billboard track “Darkhorse” featuring Juicy J. Trap has a lot of potential success, towards the younger people of our generation in this year 2016 and will rise to the top of the popularity charts.

Soundcloud Rap/Hip Hop – Yes, this is a real genre and it’s pretty amazing way to explore different amateur or upcoming artists. Soundcloud is an music app for smartphones and a website too. It’s basically a place where any user on this app can upload their own music, other users can save a track they like into a playlist and like tracks too. Originally Soundcloud was the source to find EDM artists and tracks but recently amateur rappers have taken over. Artists like Childish Gambino, Chance The Rapper, Chris Travis, Denzel Curry, and Bones; have gained most of their popularity through Soundcloud. These artists release their new singles and mixtapes on Soundcloud to experiment with their fans; on whether to officially release that track with their record company. Most Soundcloud rappers are amateurs, who produce their tracks in their bedroom or basement, striving to obtain fans and success. As only some of them will receive fame and sign a record deal. For 2016, Soundcloud will mostly likely rise, as it is probably the #1 source to find talented artists online.

The-Weeknd

The Weeknd, R&B singer

R&B – Rhythm and Blues, is an popular music genre right now because of brand new R&B artists. These brand new artists put their own twist into this genre and give it a different flare to it too. As most of the lyrics that are produced in R&B nowadays are sexual and depressing. These hit artists are The Weeknd, Bryson Tiller, Chris Brown, and some Ty Dolla $ign. The Weeknd is a sensational R&B artist right now as his song
“The Hills” is ranked #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 and his other track “Can’t Feel My Face” is ranked #24 on the Billboard Hot 100. Bryson Tiller is a brand new artist in the R&B World as his track “Don’t” is ranked #17 on the Billboard Hot 100. R&B is probably the most prized and popular than it’s ever been, in this genre’s history. As a lot of the younger and older generation are satisfied with this new twist of R&B. 2016 will be an even better year for R&B, because of the imagination and thought that comes into this genre.