• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Deadpool: The hero we never deserved, but needed

Ryan+Reynolds+as+Deadpool.+
Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

Deadpool recently just hit theaters raking over 497.6 million dollars since it’s initial Valentine’s Day screening, making it one of the highest grossing R rated movies ever.  Scoring up to and 83% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a score of 8.5 on IMDB, Deadpool has dramatically changed the landscape of the superhero genre, even with the saturation of the superhero genre in film and TV. What was so different about our spider-man looking, chimichanga- loving, sword-slinging superhero? Mostly him not being a hero.

As all superhero films have focused on a, now, cliche plot: superhero gets powers or abilities, bad guy does bad things, and then superhero beats bad guy in a showdown; Deadpool straps down and gets right down and dirty with an opening sequence that mocks all the cliches in said superhero movies. Within the first five minutes, Deadpool reminds the audience why we wanted Deadpool so much and why the fans, including Ryan Reynolds himself, never gave up hope trying to make this film happen.

As many followers of the movie know, Deadpool was in what filmmakers call “Production Hell” for almost 6 years, in which one week the film was green-lit, then stopped another week later. Many fans that wanted to see a truer adaptation of the popular anti-hero, after the complete embarrassment of the one featured in X-men Origins: Wolverine, were worried that the Deadpool everyone wanted would never come to be. Then leaked test footage was uploaded on YouTube (most believe Reynolds leaked it). At first, it seemed that the leaked footage was just a fake, but after confirmation from 21st Century Fox, the hype was back on.

image00

The cast of Deadpool. (Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin, T. J. Miller, Brianna Hildebrand, Ed Skrein and Gina Carano)

Now, that the movie has been out for a while, it’s safe to say that anticipation for a second film, that has already been announced to be coming in the next two years, is at a fever-high from the success of the first film.  And with this success, a much larger budget than the dismal 55 million dollar budget that the movie had, which was joked upon in one of Deadpool’s more PG 4th wall breaks; stating after seeing an almost empty X-mansion, “It’s almost like the studio couldn’t afford anymore X-men.” Which is very true, considering last minute budget cuts took out 10 pages of script!

But enough with all the background surrounding the movie. it’s time for some Deadpool. The movie is extremely vulgar, bloody, and funny, However, most of the humor is too inappropriate to write here, which brings me to my next point; this is not a kids movie. I guess some parents didn’t realize that Deadpool wasn’t your average superhero flick and brought their kids to what they thought would be just another family film like Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip. Oh, they were dead wrong.

What made Deadpool so great was how it stuck to its true comic roots and not trying to make itself appeal to kids. The movie ran exactly like how a Deadpool comic would read: little plot, lots of action, and lots of laughs. Ryan Reynolds was Deadpool and Deadpool was Ryan Reynolds. It was perfect casting, similar to the the casting of Robert Downey Jr. and Hugh Jackman as Iron Man and Wolverine, respectively. Even the supporting cast was superb with great chemistry, especially scenes that featured the trio of  Deadpool, Colossus, and Negasonic Teenage Warhead. Also, the versatility of Reynold’s performance was flawless in portraying the titular character’s both comedic and dramatic moments.
All in all, if you like strap-ons and Deadpool, this movie is for you!