• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Filed under Features, Showcase

Student Guide to the Election

With the chaos of any election, objectives and policies can get lost in all of the drama. It also doesn’t help that the politicians use political jargon to express these policies in a way that the average American may not understand, especially students.

Since some of you seniors out there will be able to vote in November, I wanted to break down the key differences between the politicians, to make sure that students and adults alike could focus on the policy differences between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, devoid of all the drama. This guide will help to compare the candidates proposed plans for popular topics and their moral viewpoints.

Hillary Clinton with her husband and daughter.

Let’s start with some basic information. The Democratic nominee is Hillary Clinton, aged 68, and the Republican nominee is Donald Trump, aged 70.

Hillary Clinton grew up in Chicago, Illinois. She was First Lady to her husband, Bill Clinton, during the years of 1993 to 2001. Next, she became the State Senator for New York from 2001 to 2009. Succeeding that, she became the 67th Secretary of State in 2009 for the Barack Obama administration. She has been married to Bill Clinton since 1975, and she has one daughter named Chelsea.

Donald Trump with his family on the Today Show.

© REUTERS

Donald Trump grew up in Queens, New York City, New York. He was a high profile businessman and a television personality prior to the 2016 campaign. He has been married three times, and he has been married to his current wife for eleven years. He has five children who are named Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka, Eric, Tiffany, and Barron.

Topic/Viewpoint Donald Trump Hillary Clinton
Immigration

“Restore integrity to our immigration system by prioritizing the interests of Americans first. Enforce our immigration laws – at the border and at the workplace. Build a border wall and end sanctuary cities. Send criminal aliens home. Welcome those who embrace our way of life, but keep out immigrants and refugees who don’t through rigorous vetting.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“We need comprehensive immigration reform with a path to full and equal citizenship. If Congress won’t act, I’ll defend President Obama’s executive actions—and I’ll go even further to keep families together. I’ll end family detention, close private immigrant detention centers, and help more eligible people become naturalized.” – Hillary Clinton, January 6, 2016

Abortion

“The primary responsibility of the federal government is to protect the rights of its citizens. Life is the most fundamental right. The federal government should not diminish this right by denying its’ protection. I am opposed to abortion except for rape, incest and life of the mother. I oppose the use of government funds to pay for abortions.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“Politicians have no business interfering with women’s personal health decisions. I will oppose efforts to roll back women’s access to reproductive health care, including Republican efforts to defund Planned Parenthood. As president, I’ll stand up for Planned Parenthood and women’s access to critical health services, including safe, legal abortion.” – Hillary Clinton, January 6, 2016

Guns

“Unwavering support of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Get serious about prosecuting violent criminals. Get gang members and drug dealers off the street to make our cities and communities safer. Empower law-abiding gun owners to defend themselves. Expand mental health programs keep the violent mentally ill off of our streets.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“More than 33,000 Americans are killed by guns each year. It’s time to act. As President, I’ll take on the gun lobby and fight for commonsense reforms to keep guns away from terrorists, domestic abusers, and other violent criminals—including comprehensive background checks and closing loopholes that allow guns to fall into the wrong hands.” – Hillary Clinton, January 6, 2016

Foreign Policy

“Foreign policy will be singularly focused on Making America Safe Again by destroying radical Islamic terrorist groups. End the nuclear deal with Iran and the ransom payments to the world’s number one state sponsor of terrorism. America will stand with its allies and end the Obama-Clinton practice of apologizing to our enemies.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“As secretary of state, I worked to restore America’s leadership in the world. As president, my top priority will be to keep us safe and defend our values. That includes maintaining a cutting-edge military, strengthening our alliances, being firm but wise with our rivals, cultivating new partners, defeating ISIS, and enforcing the Iran nuclear deal.” – Hillary Clinton, September 23, 2016

Taxes

“Cut business rate to 15 percent. Reduce individual rates to three brackets of 12, 25, and 33 percent, with a 0 percent rate for many. Add above-the-line deduction for childcare costs, including for stay-at-home parents.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“The wealthiest pay too little in taxes while the middle class needs more relief. I’m going to fix that. I’ll close corporate tax loopholes and make sure millionaires and billionaires can’t pay lower rates than middle-class families. And I’ll give tax relief to working families who are struggling with costs from college to health care.” – Hillary Clinton, January 6, 2016

Health Care

“Every American deserves access to high quality, affordable health care, not just insurance. Obamacare has failed on cost and quality of health care. It must be repealed. America needs a patient-centered health care system, allowing families and their doctors to be primary decision makers. Provide for the sale of health insurance across state lines.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“I’ve fought for quality, affordable health care my entire career. As president, I’ll defend the Affordable Care Act, build on its successes, and go even further to reduce costs. My plan will crack down on drug companies charging excessive prices, slow the growth of out-of-pocket costs, and provide a new credit to those facing high health expenses.” – Hillary Clinton, January 6, 2016

Economy and Jobs

“Reform the tax code and trade policies to make it easier to hire, invest, build, grow, produce, and manufacture in America. Stop China from stealing our jobs, renegotiate NAFTA, cut unneeded regulations and make America the best place in the world to do business. Putting America First—and not globalism—will keep jobs and wealth in America.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“We need to raise pay, create good-paying jobs, and build an economy that works for everyone—not just those at the top. I’ll cut taxes for the middle class, raise the minimum wage, and ensure the wealthiest pay their fair share. I’ll invest in infrastructure, clean energy, and education. And I’ll help parents balance work and family.” – Hillary Clinton, September 23, 2016

Crime and Safety

“Crime and violence is an attack on everyone—particularly the poor—and is unacceptable. We will have strong, swift fair law and order. Progress against criminal activity is being reversed by this administration’s rollback and discouragement of criminal enforcement. We must work with law enforcement and first responders to keep our communities safe.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“Everyone in America should respect the law and be respected by the law. We need to end mass incarceration, use strategies like police body cameras to improve accountability, increase substance abuse treatment, and aim resources at criminals who pose the greatest threat. And we need to invest in education and job training—the foundations of success.” – Hillary Clinton, January 6, 2016

Education

“Every child in America deserves a great education and an opportunity to achieve their dreams. We will enhance education options for students through school choice and charters, and respect homeschoolers in their quest for educational alternatives. We will also make it easier for families to afford college so students aren’t buried in debt.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“As president, I’ll work to ensure every child—from every ZIP code—has access to a world-class education, including access to high-quality preschool. We need to strike the right balance on testing—with fewer, fairer and better tests for elementary and secondary school students. And we must support teachers with the training and resources they need.” – Hillary Clinton, January 6, 2016

Budget and Spending

“Create high-paying jobs to bring growth to our stagnant economy, reducing deficits and spending. Rebuild our military and ensure that veterans receive top quality medical care. Rebuild our infrastructure. End government corruption and rein in wasteful spending to put our ballooning deficits on a long-term path to balance.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“Raising Americans’ incomes will be my top priority. I’ll rebuild our infrastructure, invest in clean energy and manufacturing, create millions of good-paying middle class jobs, and rein in college costs and out-of-pocket health expenses. I’ll pay for my proposals by closing corporate tax loopholes and asking the wealthiest to pay their fair share.” – Hillary Clinton, January 6, 2016

National Security

“There are serious threats facing the United States, and American strength is the only way to ensure peace. We must rebuild our military, reform our intelligence agencies, and prepare our government for the security challenges of cyberspace.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“The president’s most important job is to keep us safe. That means maintaining a cutting-edge military and standing up to our rivals. I’ll also work with our allies to defeat ISIS, dismantle global terror networks, and harden defenses at home by launching an intelligence surge and keeping guns out of the hands of suspected terrorists.” – Hillary Clinton, September 23, 2016

Veterans

“Ensure that every Veteran gets timely access to top-quality care through the VA or private Medicare providers if the VA cannot provide timely access. Fix VA corruption and help Veterans find good paying jobs. Veterans should come first in the country they fought to protect, and under a Trump Administration they will.” – Donald Trump, September 16, 2016

“Supporting our veterans is a sacred responsibility. That’s why I’ll pursue a veteran-centric reform agenda that revitalizes the VA—not privatize it. I’ll ensure our veterans get world-class health care without enduring long waits, increase education and job opportunities, end the appeals backlog, and work to end veterans’ homelessness and suicide.” – Hillary Clinton, September 23, 2016

*All of this information was retrieved from the politicians individual websites and direct quotes they have made on Google.

I hope this was a very simple,clear, and factual way to map out the differences between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Good luck to all the students that can participate in their very first election cycle!

The two presidential candidates at a recent debate.