• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Filed under Sports

Diamondbacks Pin it to Win it

Caleb Packard(12) getting ready to turn his opponent over for the pin (Abigail Andruski).

The Serrano Diamondbacks have been off to a great start with a record of 8-11 for JV and 4-3 for Varsity. They have competed in several different tournaments, duels, and matches. They ended the season by taking fourth place in the Mojave River League with league finals quickly approaching.

The Diamondbacks are coached by Dean Richards, who is assisted by Mr. Broca and Mr. Nilsen who both teach in the Snowline Schools District.

They started their season in November with a very successful win against Adelanto and then followed up with a second win against Silverado in the beginning of December.

In their first league match against Sultana, they never gave up but fell short of winning the match. In their match against Oak Hills, they pushed and never gave up but fell short again.

On the team there are two outstanding girl wrestlers, Sierra Alfonso (11) and Maeve Matthews (11) who have shown extraordinary promise. At the Girls Blackwatch Tournament, Alfonso took first place in her weight division.

A match is six minutes long and during those six minutes the wrestlers are constantly pushing themselves and are relying on their own strength to carry them out of the match. JV Captain, Mason Ewing (11) stated that wrestling is an “emotional, mental, and physical” sport.  He later on went to state that most people see wrestling as just working out but it is more than that, it’s certain moves that you have to perfect and know how to do so you don’t get stuck in a sticky situation.

To the wrestlers,the hardest thing is eating and cutting weight to be able to make in a certain weight class.  As captains, Mason Ewing, Maeve Matthews (11), Elijah Flores (12), and Oman Younes (12) have all stated that the hardest part is staying in shape during the off-season and watching what they eat.

Coach Richards stated that the hardest part of this season is “working at such an elevated level and avoiding burn outs and injuries.” Cooper Schexynder (10) agreed with Richards in stating that a hard part about wrestling is “knowing that you can possibly get hurt,” since wrestling is a contact sport.

Each of the players have different pre-match rituals such as thinking of things that make them mad, drinking water, listening to music, pacing back and forth. But as a team as a whole they participate in team bonding games and relax until their match. They do this in order to stay focused on their upcoming opponent.

In wrestling the players need to stay very motivated. Coach Richard stated that the wrestlers “tend to stay motivated” on their own. Losing at wrestling, according to Richards, is “one of the most difficult losses to the stomach and they are always working to achieve better results as individuals.”

He always tells the team to go through the moves in their head that they are going to use against their opponent to obtain a win. Several of the athletes have stated that this is helpful so they don’t freeze and get themselves stuck.