• May 19Final Issue of Rattler to come next week

• December 9PRINT ISSUES ARE IN ROOM 404

The student news site of Serrano High School

The Rattler

Don’t bring your squad to Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad movie poster slightly resembles something you would carve into a pumpkin for Halloween (rogerebert.com).

Suicide Squad, a 2016 summer film, built up a lot of hype prior to its release, but, unfortunately, that excitement quickly turned to disappointment when the film actually came to theaters. The characters were introduced in a rushed and sloppy manner, the plot was messy and all over the place, and the scenes were choppy which made this film hard to follow and a difficult place in which to invest your attention.

In the beginning of the film we see two people who will turn out to be the attempt the filmmakers make at fulfilling the audience’s need for main characters. They introduce Deadshot (Will Smith) and Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) yet no other Suicide Squad members are shown at this time. Is it because they lack importance? That is entirely possible.

Even if most of the squad does lack importance, each and every little member is given a long, expository intro by Amanda Waller (Viola Davis) in a restaurant with a binder that has “Top Secret” written across it in huge, red lettering that doesn’t at all seem secretive. These intros are portrayed through flashbacks and told by Amanda Waller as she basically narrates these flashbacks as if she were reading a Wikipedia page. As you can clearly see, this scene was super interesting and kept audiences on their toes.

Immediately following this exciting scene, we have another exciting scene that takes place in a government meeting room. Amanda Waller is seen giving a presentation to convince the officials in the room that they should form a squad of the worst criminals ever so they can use them as protection in case an evil, superman-like being comes into existence and wants to kidnap the president among other bad things. In other words, they need control of bad people in case other bad people start doing bad things that they need to control.

At first, none of the government officials are on board with Waller’s plan and that entices Waller to put her plan B to action. She calls a young, former archaeologist by the name of June Moone (Cara Delevingne) up to the front of the room to whisper “enchantress.” Just by whispering this word, young, normal-looking Moone turns into an ancient, evil-looking goddess. After Moone turns into Enchantress, she magically teleports and retrieves some enemy weapon plans for the officials and by golly if they weren’t on board before, seeing these weapon plans made them do a complete 180 degree turn. Plan B was successful and they were all agreeing with Waller’s plan in no time.

A bit later in the film, we see the trustworthy Enchantress escape to free her brother who is also a god. She expresses her distaste in the human population’s shift from worshipping them two to worshipping machines and vows to build a machine to kill them all. That’ll solve the problem. She sends her brother (whom she had possess a human) into the real world (a subway station) to regain his strength. Apparently, a god regaining his strength looks like a man having a seizure, using tentacles to attack a wealthy amount of innocent bystanders, and then turning into a creature that resembles a shogun.

Waller tries to remedy the situation by hiring her friend the Enchantress, but miss Enchantress just escaped and got help from her brother. After her brother made her look more beautiful and goddess-like, she made a huge column of light that sucked up various machines, such as cars. I assume this is part of the construction process of that villainous machine she mentioned earlier that is intended to kill off the human race. Whatever she’s doing, it seems to be the perfect mission for the Suicide Squad, and, luckily for us, Waller just got cleared to use them.

Now we see two new members, Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney) and Slipknot (Adam Beach), join the Suicide Squad before everyone gets a lecture on the rules and regulations they are restricted by in a style that resembles a bunch of campers getting the rundown of the camp on the first day. After they have been sufficiently lectured, they are given their things back so they can get dressed in front of everybody (well, at least Harley Quinn does) and be on their way to defend the city and general human population.

Once they board the helicopter that will fly them to complete their duties, yet another character is introduced. Thankfully she isn’t hear to join the squad as all of their spots have been taken and there is no waiting list. This new cast member is called Katana (Karen Fukuhara) and her main purpose is to serve as backup for Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman), the supervisor of the Suicide Squad, and to look cool for the camera.

Unfortunately, the helicopter that carries our beloved Suicide Squad crashes after being shot down mid-flight. Fortunately, no one is injured because nobody has time for that. After exiting the ruined helicopter, our anti-heroes run into some danger with faceless chemical reactions that are in the shape of people. The squad is surprised for a moment before they go on to do exactly what they were bred for. They fight these odd creatures in the dark for some intense, yet unseen, action sequences until all of sudden the wave is over and they move on.

The Suicide Squad naturally assumes an epic team fighting pose in order to look good for the camera (newsarama.com).

Much later in the film, after some more action, an attempted escape by Harley Quinn, and a group therapy session, our squad finally meets up with the Enchantress who was the producer of the lab experiments that gave some more action to this film. There is a big fight scene in which the squad fights Enchantress’ brother while she keeps building her machine. Of course the squad wins, but one member does technically commit suicide (It is called Suicide Squad for a reason).

After Enchantress’ brother is defeated she tries to manipulate the team to join her in her mission to kill and Harley Quinn fake accepts the bait only to grab a nearby katana and cut out the Enchantress’ heart. The squad members work quickly to close the light beam that is building a machine (or whatever it’s doing, no one really knows) and crush Enchantress’ heart. June Moone comes back and, now that everything is back to normal, Waller comes in and takes requests from the team. She gives out things like visits with your children, espresso machines, televisions, and single decades off of triple life sentences.

As you can see, everybody lived (kinda) happily ever after, if you exclude the audience. The film could’ve been helped with a smaller Suicide Squad that didn’t have so many unimportant characters and maybe even a smaller cast in general. There were so many characters that it was difficult for the filmmakers to include them all in a smooth and clean way. It was unclear who the main characters were, although they seemed to be Deadshot and Harley Quinn, and there were many characters that seemed like they should have had a bigger role, but just didn’t.

The plot was very complex and hard to follow, and the film was just stock-full of information, almost too much for the viewer to take in while still following the story and keeping up with the character emotion. The scenes were very jumpy and all-over-the-place as well and it might have helped to narrow down the various settings and locations that are shown  throughout the movie. In general, the movie was very full, yet the filmmakers were too lazy to sufficiently organize the information that they themselves decided to include.

Harley Quinn shown having trouble differentiating between a baseball bat and a rifle (themarysue.com).